Hydration


Water is one of the most important components of the body, since it comprises 60% of it, its distribution is simple, 70% of the water is found in the cells and the remaining 30% is located in the blood vessels. In addition, water regulates body temperature, which is why when the vital liquid is not ingested properly, the cells suffer a lack of it, causing dehydration.

The water passes both outside and inside the cell, these movements being regulated by the amount of solutes found in each of these spaces, this phenomenon is called Osmosis. The human body is able to keep this delicate process in operation through very complex mechanisms, regulating the levels of sodium, chlorine and potassium, better known as electrolytes in the body.

The way in which electrolytes are regulated is through pumps and channels in each of the cell membranes, which is why water is regulated through hormonal mechanisms. When the level in the body of water is low, the concentration of solutes increases, thus increasing osmolarity, for this reason that what is known as thirst occurs and is where the individual seeks to drink water, which in turn is eliminated from the body through various ways, such as: sweat, respiration. urine, feces and digestive secretions.

If for some reason the consumption of liquid decreases, either due to vomiting, lesions in the mouth that prevent swallowing or increases the loss of it through diarrhea, fever, excessive sweating, among others, the normal balance of the body is disturbed and it is where the phenomenon known as dehydration occurs, which affects the functioning of the body, sometimes putting the life of the person at risk.

If there is a situation that causes the loss of fluids in the body, it is essential to administer water to prevent the body from becoming dehydrated, the absorption is much faster if a small touch of common salt is added to the water. There are cases where oral hydration is not possible and this is where it must be done intravenously. Dehydration is a very serious matter, since it puts the person’s life at risk, so it is advisable to seek medical help if you have any symptoms such as those already mentioned.